Folk Alliance Region Midwest (FARM) is excited to announce the 14 performers for the 2013 FARM Conference Official Showcase
- Craig Bickhardt
- C. Daniel Boling
- Brad Cole
- Drive South
- Tret Fure
- Goldmine Pickers
- Hounds of Finn
- Bill & Kate Isles
- Jan Krist & Jim Bizer
- Lowder & Manning
- James Lee Stanley & John Batdorf – All Wood and Stones
- Billy Strings & Don Julin
- The True Falsettos
- Dan Weber
In addition Hey Mavis was selected for the showcase but is unable to attend.
The alternate showcase performers are:
- Caroline Aiken
- Aengus Finnan
- Natalie Gelman
- Lyal Strickland
For 2013, FARM partnered with the Listening Room Network to develop and administer a new online system for showcase submissions and judging. Applicants were asked to submit links to 3 songs, one required to be a video (most submitted all three as videos). We requested that the submissions be of live performances and that the band configuration be the same as that expected to perform at the conference. Our goal was to select performers on performance ability as well as musical skill.
We received a record 118 submissions and a big thanks to everyone who submitted.
Thanks in part to the new showcase submission system, but mostly because of the dedication of our judges, judging was completed in a very short time. Our thanks go out to our judges who invested a serious amount of time viewing the submissions. Our judges were:
- Ed Becker – folk radio DJ at 88.1 KDHX in St. Louis, host of “Songwriters Showcase.”
- Ruth & Max Bloomquist – 35-year performing artists, 2-time FARM Official Showcase finalists, 2012 FAI Official Showcase Artists.
- Lee Herman – House concert host, Windy City House Concerts, Chicago.
- Blair Hull – founding/current presenter of the Stained Glass Coffeehouse in Deerfield IL, and performing artist.
- Bill Keith – Board President and Concert Coordinator at Trinity House Theater in Livonia MI, and Station Manager of 88.1 The Park in Plymouth MI.
- Kelly Wells – Executive Director of the Folk School in St. Louis (a service of 88.1 KDHX), and KDHX Education Director.
And lastly, a special thanks to our showcase coordinator, Jeff Robertson. Jeff was responsible for making it happen and he did.
Congratulations to those selected for this year’s FARM Official Showcase and thanks to all who participated in the process.
Bob Hofbauer, President, FARM Board of Directors