Folk Alliance Region Midwest (FARM) is seeking our future Conference Director!
Do you have what it takes to be the next FARM Conference Director? We want to get to know you! FARM is seeking a new Conference Director for our in-person event in October of 2023 and beyond. If you have the fire of the folk music community in you, the love for the folk music community like we do, and the organizational skills that it takes to plan a conference – we want to hear from you. 2023 seems far in the future but finding the perfect candidate is very important to us. Our current Director, Annie Capps, will be in leadership for our next in-person event in Lisle/Naperville, IL in the fall of 2022. Participation in past FARM Conferences or other Folk Alliance-related events is not a requirement but it does help. It is important to us that we find someone who understands our mission and can support our current community, while also strengthening our conference offerings for future attendees.
FARM Mission Statement
Folk Alliance Region Midwest (FARM) is a regional chapter of Folk Alliance International (FAI). Our purposes are to promote traditional, contemporary, and multicultural folk music and dance and related performing arts in our region, hold an annual regional conference, represent the interests of our members to FAI and carry out such other projects as are of benefit to FAI members in the Midwest.
Folk Alliance Region Midwest (FARM) Conference Director
Work Location: Remote plus occasional visits to the conference site and on-site management at the in-person conference in late October. The Director must reside in the FARM region (see About page for details).
Stipend: 10 months volunteer, 11-12 months $3,000 – $6,000
Commensurate with experience
Job Type: Part-Time Volunteer Assistant Conference Director February 2022 – October 2022
Paid position runs January 2023 – November 2023 with potential for renewal
The future director will serve as assistant director for the 2022 conference year in order
to learn the position and allow for a smooth transition.
● Large multi-faceted event management
● Execution and negotiation of contracts
● Professional experience in the folk music industry
● Engaging and managing volunteers
● Strong computer skills – i.e. comfortable with basic computer applications such as Google Docs, Forms, and Sheets as well as, Zoom, email marketing apps (FARM uses MailChimp)
● Great leadership skills
● Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
● Organization skills
● Ability to work well with a team (friendly, patient, open-minded)
● Detail-oriented (or find a great assistant who is) =)
● Visionary, Forward-thinking, flexible
● Problem-solving skills
Conference Director Job Description
Primary Responsibilities: The Conference Director is responsible for organizing and overseeing all programming and logistics related to the annual FARM Gathering. All decision-making, as it relates to the conference, will be done in consultation with the FARM
Board of Directors.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
● Oversee all external communications related to the conference
● Develop and monitor conference budget
● Create the overall schedule of events at the conference
● Manage Registration system
● Set appropriate pricing for the conference, with Board approval
● Work with the hotel to manage on-site logistics
● Recruit and utilize volunteer staff in all conference aspects and manage their work
● Assure diversity in all areas of the conference
● Coordinate speaker selections and workshop/panel tracks and leaders/panel members
● Oversee all marketing / advertising / promotion / website content
● Support FARM’s fundraising committee efforts
● Prepare and arrange for the printing of the conference program book and all content
● Work with Board treasurer to process all conference-related payments
● Maintain detailed records of conference-related expenses and receipts
● Secure appropriate vendors and other outside resources
● Oversee pre-conference logistics
● Create and manage all conference and post-conference surveys
● Report of all activities and conference-related decisions to the FARM Board of Directors monthly
● Support selection and training of future conference directors, including job and process documentation.
To be considered for this position, please provide a letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your letter of interest, please tell us why, in a couple of sentences, you’re interested in the position of FARM Conference Director. Include your history with Folk Alliance (are you a member of FAI or a Regional Folk Alliance, and which conferences have you have attended). Tell us briefly what you feel are your core strengths and why you are passionate about becoming FARM’s next Conference Director.
FARM plans on contacting all candidates for the Conference Director position beginning in early 2022. You will be advised if you are a candidate under consideration for the Conference Director position.